NBA rumors: Latest news from the off-season
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The Olympics are over and the Summer League has been completed for several weeks, leaving the NBA and its fans awaiting the impending start of training camps. Those won't begin until late September, and the league is left with various roster moves, injury updates and other rumors to fill the time.
Check out the latest NBA news and rumors below.
• Washington Wizards point guard John Wall told CSN that he and shooting guard Bradley Beal have "a tendency to dislike each other on the court." Wall said the two need to put that aside this year, while Beal added they need to remember they need each other.
• Dallas Mavericks guard Wesley Matthews told the team's website he's now fully recovered from the torn Achilles he sustained during the 2014–15 season. Matthews said he wants the season to start now so he can show how ready he is.
• The battle for the last roster spot on the Boston Celtics is between R.J. Hunter, James Young, John Holland and Ben Bentil. Adam Himmelsbach of the Boston Globe reports Hunter has the edge for now.
• Jim Boeheim, Carmelo Anthony's coach at Syracuse, told ESPN that Anthony is unlikely to ever win a championship. Boeheim said Anthony has never been on a team with "a remote chance of winning an NBA title."
• The Portland Trail Blazers announced that free agent addition Festus Ezeli had an injection in his knee that will sideline him for six weeks. That timeline would allow Ezeli to return for the season opener, although concerns about his knee durability are why he signed for only $16 million over two years.
• ESPN's Chad Ford has released his first NBA Mock Draft. He has Washington guard Markelle Fultz going No. 1 to the 76ers, followed by Duke's Harry Giles to the Celtics (via the Nets' pick) and Josh Jackson of Kansas going to the Lakers.