Report: Peyton Manning says he's ready to play in 2015
Peyton Manning has assured Denver Broncos personnel that he is physically and mentally ready to return to the field for the 2015 season, according to a report from ESPN's Chris Mortensen, based on information from sources with the NFL and Denver.
Manning left New Orleans on Thursday and met with team officials in Denver. While retirement remains a possibility for the 38-year-old quarterback, Mortensen writes that he did not mention it as an option.
Manning, who joined Denver in 2012 after 13 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, has spent recent weeks working with trainer Mackie Shilstone, who is known for his work with stand-out performers in the later years of their career.
Manning was reportedly working with Shilston with the intention of playing during the coming season.
According to ESPN, Shilstone put Manning through a number of workouts and tests, and offered a "strong assessment" of the quarterback's readiness.
Manning, who has thrown for 69,691 yards and 530 touchdowns during his 16 year career, has other issues to address with the Broncos. The quarterback could also restructure his contract for the coming season. His deal with the team also stipulates a formal physical evaluation.
Should Manning be on Denver's roster when the NFL's new business year begins on March 10, he will be guaranteed $19 million for the 2015 season.
Denver has also added new head coach Gary Kubiak and new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips so far this offseason. The team has also said that it wants to bring back wide receiver Demaryius Thomas and tight end Julius Thomas, both free agents.
Denver is estimated to have more than $50 million in salary cap room next year.
The Broncos went 12-4 last season, losing to the Colts in the divisional round of the playoffs. In three seasons with Manning, the team has gone 38-10 during the regular season, exiting the playoffs twice in the divisional round and losing Super Bowl XLVIII to the Seattle Seahawks.