Jameis Winston reportedly not planning to attend next month's NFL draft

By SI Wire
March 16, 2015

Former Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston is not planning on attending the NFL draft, according to The MMQB.com’s Peter King.

According to King, Winston plans to spend the draft with family and friends.

The NFL draft will take place April 30 to May 2 in Chicago.

Winston is expected to be a top draft pick. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have the first pick in the draft, and Winston visited the team earlier this month.

“I just want them to know I am human and I'm a great person, and this smile isn't fake,” Winston said in a video posted on the team’s website. “I just want to show them I can be the face of this franchise one day.”

BURKE: 2015 NFL Mock Draft 5.0: Jameis Winston still No. 1 overall to Bucs

Buccaneers head coach Lovie Smith said the team would be comfortable with Winston as the face of the franchise even though Winston made several off-the-field headlines during his time at Florida State, including being accused of sexual assault. Authorities chose not to charge Winston with any crime, citing a lack of evidence in the case.

Winston went 27-1 as a starter at Florida State, winning the Heisman Trophy and leading the Seminoles to a national title in his first season and a College Football Playoff appearance last season.

Tampa Bay went 2-14 last season and missed the playoffs for the seventh straight year.

GALLERY: PLAYERS REACTING TO BEING DRAFTED

- Scooby Axson

 

You May Like