Johnny Manziel spoke to the media for the first time since December on Wednesday, revealing that his signature “money sign” will not be back.
Manziel said in his mind, his performance last season was a “disaster.”
“I didn’t come out and perform,” he told reporters.
The quarterback said his Johnny Football persona overtook him at times and attributed it to immaturity, acknowledging that he brought it on himself. He added that he was “a little bit of a distraction last year” and feels bad about it.
Manziel spent 10 weeks at a Pennsylvania treatment facility earlier this year for an undisclosed issue, but he has been a participant through the team’s off-season training program. He did not discuss his time in rehab with the media, saying he's trying to close a chapter of his life.
“My private life has been out there to a maximum,” he said. “Whatever I can do to try to quiet the noise that has surrounded this team and surrounded myself. I don’t want that anymore.”
The 22-year-old Manziel started two games last season and appeared in five overall, completing 18-of-35 passes for 175 yards with two interceptions and one rushing touchdown.
- Molly Geary