Remembering Buddy Ryan: Best quotes from the former NFL coach
Legendary NFL coach Buddy Ryan died on Tuesday, ending an NFL legacy that spanned 26 years and is carried on by his sons Rex and Rob, who coach the Buffalo Bills.
Throughout his career, Ryan became renowned for his successful defensive strategies as well as his gruff, tell it like it is demeanor.
Read below for 12 of Ryan’s best quotes.
1. “Football kickers are like taxi cabs. You can always go out and hire another one.”
2. “[Roster cuts were] so easy my wife could have made them, and she didn’t even know these guys. I never found it hard.”
3. “QBs are overpaid, overrated, pompous bastards and must be punished.”
4. “I don’t think (fifth-round pick Ray Criswell’s) coming in late hurt his chances. I think because he can’t punt might hurt his chances.”
5. “Trade him for a six pack. It doesn’t even have to be cold.”
6. “We might have the worst bunch of guys together we’ve ever seen as a football team. I don’t know what anybody else has, but I’d trade mine with anybody, sight unseen.”
7. “Maddix (running back Michael Haddix) looks like a reject guard from the USFL, he’s so fat."
8. “I don't know what (Kevin Allen’s) status is. I don’t even know who he is.”
9. “I think with me what you see is what you get. But some people don’t like what they see.”
10. “I’m short, fat and good looking.”
11. “Kevin Gilbride will be selling insurance in two years.”
12. “Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.”