NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
Tuesday is the deadline for NFL teams to trim their 90-man rosters down to 75 ahead of Week 4 of the preseason this weekend. The final slate of games will start on Wednesday instead of Thursday, as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers game against the Washington Redskins has been moved up due to the threat of inclement weather.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The Denver Broncos named Trevor Siemian as their starting quarterback and are trying to trade Mark Sanchez, reports Pro Football Talk. If Denver can't trade Sanchez, they will cut him.
• The Broncos contacted the Dallas Cowboys about trading for Sanchez, but they are not interested in acquiring him for his current $4.5 million salary, reports Jane Slater of NFL Network. Dallas is looking to sign a veteran quarterback to backup rookie Dak Prescott while Tony Romo is hurt, and they may sign Sanchez after he is cut.
• San Diego Chargers rookie defensive end Joey Bosa will not play in the team's preseason finale against the San Francisco 49ers, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter. Bosa ended his holdout by signing a deal with the team on Monday.
• Houston Texans head coach Bill O'Brien said he can "definitely see" All-Pro defensive end J.J. Watt playing in the season opener against the Chicago Bears, reports John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. Watt is recovering from off-season back surgery.
• The Chargers released wide receiver James Jones one month after signing him, reports ESPN's Eric D. Williams.
• Linebacker Paul Kruger is visiting the New Orleans Saints on Tuesday, one day after being cut by the Cleveland Browns, reports ESPN's Mike Triplett.
• The Browns traded punter Andy Lee to the Carolina Panthers, reports Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.