NFL rumors: Latest Week 1 news on injuries, contracts and more
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The NFL regular season is finally here, starting Thursday night with the Denver Broncos hosting the Carolina Panthers in a rematch of Super Bowl 50. While the Panthers and Broncos get ready to play, the rest of the league has a few extra days of preparation time.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Seattle Seahawks rookie right guard Germain Ifedi, a first rounder and starter, suffered an ankle injury at practice on Wednesday. The Seattle Times reports the extent of the injury is unclear.
• The San Diego Union Tribune reports Joey Bosa likely won't play in the season opener for the Chargers. Bosa has not yet practiced in pads, as he deals with a leg injury.
• The Denver Broncos and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders agreed to a three-year contract extension, general manager John Elway announced. Pro Football Talk reports the deal is for $33 million over three years with $26.9 million in guaranteed money.
• Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt told the team's website that he questioned whether he'd be able to play again during his rehab from off-season groin surgery. Watt was unable to walk for several days during his recovery.
• The Pittsburgh Steelers and offensive guard David DeCastro are close to a contract extension, reports Dan Graziano of ESPN. The Steelers don't work out contract extensions during the season, so the deadline for a deal is approaching.
• Drew Brees' five-year extension voids automatically after the 2017 season. According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Brees will make $44.25 million in guaranteed money the next two years.
• San Francisco 49ers running back Carlos Hyde has been cleared for football activity, according to CSN Bay Area. Hyde suffered a concussion in Week 3 of the preseason.