By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The Dallas Cowboys are the first and only team to clinch a playoff spot. Thanks to their win Thursday night and the Washington Redskins losing to the Arizona Cardinals, the Cowboys are guaranteed at least a wild card slot.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Ron Rivera benched starting quarterback Cam Newton for the opening drive of the Carolina Panthers' loss to the Seattle Seahawks Sunday night. Newton said after the game he was benched because he didn't wear a tie when traveling.
• Seahawks safety Earl Thomas suffered a broken leg Sunday. Thomas then tweeted that a lot was running through his mind, including retirement.
• The Los Angeles Rams have signed head coach Jeff Fisher to a two-year contract extension, per NFL.com. The deal was agreed to in the pre-season and signed during the regular season.
• Mike Pouncey is battling a hip injury and the Miami Dolphins center told the Miami Herald he doesn't know if he'll play again this year. Pouncey re-injured the hip he had surgery on in the off-season, although he said he doesn't know when he injured it.
• The Tampa Bay Buccaneers believe Cecil Shorts' knee injury is severe. The Tampa Bay Times reports the team thinks Shorts tore every ligament and dislocated his knee.
• Colin Kaepernick will void his contract with the San Francisco 49ers this off-season, reports NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. He could return to the 49ers with a new deal, but he was also benched for poor play Sunday.
• New England Patriots WR Danny Amendola suffered a high-ankle sprain, per Rapoport. The plan is to have him healthy for the post-season.
• The NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell have to yet to make a decision about the reinstatement of Oakland Raiders linebacker Aldon Smith. However, Pro Football Talk reports a decision is expected soon.