A treat for your Labor Day Weekend getaway pleasure: A special podcast on the life and times of Tennessee defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, who turns 80 on Sept. 9, the day before Oakland-Tennessee opens the season with LeBeau calling plays from his perch upstairs. I recorded LeBeau for a half-hour in Nashville recently, and he’s great on the birth of the zone blitz and on a Hall of Fame life in football. But what was cool to do was to record so many people on my training camp trip talking about LeBeau’s life in football and his influence on them: Rod Woodson, Bruce Arians and James Harrison, among a dozen or so football people.
“Without him, there is no me,” Harrison told me.
Here's a full list of the LeBeau disciples you'll hear from in this episode:
• Steelers linebacker James Harrison
• Former LeBeau cornerback Rod Woodson
• Cleveland tackle Joe Thomas
• Pittsburgh assistant coach Kirby Wilson, close with LeBeau
• Longtime friend and fellow coach Dom Capers
• Vikings coach Mike Zimmer
• Niners coach Kyle Shanahan
• Former opponent Andrew Whitworth, the former Bengals tackle
• Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett
• Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt
• Pittsburgh reporter Mike Prisuta
• Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell Lake
Thanks for listening, and please leave a review on iTunes if you like the show.