As speculation continues to mount that Deshaun Watson's time with the Texans could be over, teams have begun calling Houston to ask about the quarterback's availability, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.
Rapoport reports that Watson has not asked to be traded and the Texans haven't put him on the trade market. Despite that, trade rumors are swirling and many have wondered if the Jets will try to acquire Watson.
The 25-year-old has been unhappy with the organization because he was left out of its hiring process for a new general manager and its early search for a new head coach. Earlier this month, newly-hired general manager Nick Caserio shot down the idea of trading Watson, telling reporters, "He's our quarterback."
Houston went 4–12 in 2020 and Watson is concerned about the Texans' current leadership and the team's future, according to Sports Illustrated's Jenny Vrentas and Greg Bishop.
"He wants out," one of the people close to Watson told Sports Illustrated.
Check out the latest news and rumors around the NFL:
- Former Panthers general manager Marty Hurney is meeting with members of the Washington Football Team, including head coach Ron Rivera, to discuss the GM position. Hurney is their top candidate and could be hired this week. (Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)
- Patriots OC Josh McDaniels is considered a prime candidate for the Eagles HC job. (Jeremy Fowler, ESPN)
- The Texans will do a virtual interview with Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy on Monday. Houston QB Deshaun Watson previously requested the team interview Bieniemy after Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes spoke highly of him. (Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)
- OC candidate Scott Linehan, DC candidate Raheem Morris and Ravens DL coach Joe Cullen will interview early this week with the Jaguars for head coach Urban Meyer's staff. (Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)
- Buccaneers DC Todd Bowles will interview for the Eagles head coaching job on Monday. (Adam Schefter, ESPN)
- The Lions are expected to hire Saints assistant head coach/tight ends coach Dan Campbell as their next head coach. (Adam Schefter, ESPN)
- Detroit's deal with Campbell won't be official until Wednesday because he wants to do exit interviews with his Saints players this week. (Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)
- The Chargers hired Rams DC Brandon Staley as their next head coach on Sunday. (Team announcement)
- Buccaneers TE Rob Gronkowski wants to play for Tampa Bay in 2021. (Jenna Laine, ESPN)
- The Falcons are expected to hire Saints director of pro scouting Terry Fontenot as their new general manager. (Adam Schefter, ESPN)