Luther Burden Injury Update From Rome Odunze as Bears WR Continues Recovery

In this story:
We haven't heard much on Chicago Bears wide receiver Luther Burden since the last injury update, but fellow wideout Rome Odunze has some good news to share.
Burden suffered a groin injury during practice a few weeks back and has been sidelined ever since.
Odunze, who spoke to reporters a few days ago, noted that the team misses the second-year wideout. But, more importantly, Odunze had a positive update on Burden's injury recovery.
"The excitement that [Burden] brings to the game," he said of his fellow receiver. "Trying to choke people out, all that. We definitely miss Lu out there. I know his recovery is going well, so excited to get him back out there."
Luther Burden injury update

ESPN's Adam Schefter has reported that Burden is dealing with a strained groin that will keep him sidelined throughout the next two preseason games.
However, the expectation is Burden will be good to go for the season-opener against the Carolina Panthers on Sept. 13.
"Chicago WR Luther Burden III is expected to miss the preseason due to the strained groin injury he suffered Saturday, but the Bears believe he should be back for the team’s regular-season opener vs. the Panthers, per sources," Schefter said.
While Burden did not suit up in the first preseason game last week against the Cleveland Browns, he was spotted on the field doing some light jogging before the game, which is a sign of progress.
Groin injuries can be tricky and everyone should remain cautiously optimistic. However, by all accounts, he looks to be on track to suit up in Week 1.
Luther Burden's 2026 outlook

The 2025 second-round pick finished his rookie season with 47 catches, 652 receiving yards and two touchdowns, which is OK production for a first season in the NFL.
However, Burden also missed two games and really began to come on strong in the second half of the year and if you take his numbers from Week 10 on and extrapolate them over 17 games, he would've been a 1,000-yard receiver.
Fast forward to this offseason and the hype surrounding Burden is through the roof, and that isn't just coming from fans, as head coach Ben Johnson and general manager Ryan Poles have admitted they are very high on him for 2026.
Looking ahead to 2026, Burden is currently slotted in as the No. 2 receiver behind Odunze now that DJ Moore is gone, but he's going to start out as the No. 3 option in the offense overall with budding superstar tight end Colston Loveland also in the mix.
That doesn't exactly paint a rosy picture for Burden's chances of seeing a lot of volume, especially when you consider the Bears' run-heavy approach.
It's important to note that Burden could still flourish with defenses paying so much attention to both Loveland, Odunze and the Bears' top-notch rushing attack.
We also know Odunze hasn't fully cemented himself in the NFL yet, either, so Burden moving up in the pecking order isn't out of the question.
Burden is probably looking at a floor of about 800 yards, but a 1,000-yard campaign is certainly on the table for him.

Mike Moraitis is a freelance writer who has covered the NFL for major outlets such as Sports Illustrated and The Sporting News. He has previously written for USA TODAY Sports Media Group and FanSided, and got his start in sports media at Bleacher Report.