You know you want to bid on Andrew Shaw's stitches, right? Right? (Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
By Sarah Kwak
An annotated guide to this morning's must-read hockey stories:
• The Phoenix Coyotes held their big post-sale press conference yesterday in Glendale, where the backsplash behind the podium displayed the words "Here to Stay." Better that than, "Which Way to Seattle?" Amirite?
• First the Blackhawks decide to auction off pieces of ice--errr, water, at this point?--and now this: Chicago forward Andrew Shaw is putting his stitches up for sale. Ever dreamed of owning thread that's been through the face of a Blackhawk? Yeah, didn't think so, but here, you can have it anyway. Proceeds go to breast cancer research.
• A report out of Buffalo suggests that emerging star center Cody Hodgson, the team's only outstanding restricted free agent, and his agent, Ritch Winter, are making things hard on the Sabres, who would like to sign the 23-year-old who scored 34 points in 48 games last season. He finished the season second on the team in scoring and was thought to be a big part of Buffalo's future.
• Being a goalie hurts. For some, like Roberto Luongo, the pain is more psychological than anything else. But there's plenty of physical pain. One goalie explains how it hurts to stop a frozen rubber disc.
• The Stanley Cup spreads joy all summer long, like a big silver ice cream cone.
• The international Junior Evaluation Camp gets underway today, as Finland, Sweden and Canada join the U.S. in Lake Placid and take part in some exhibition games. Here's the U.S.'s notebook heading into the first scrimmage, against Sweden at 4:15 p.m. Eastern.
• So, just how many Gretzky Trade commemorations can one country put out in a week? I'm afraid we're well on our way to finding out. Here's another! A comprehensive look at the trade's impact, from Sportsnet's Luke Fox, who incidentally also reported last year that when Gretzky was traded, he was actually babysitting Robin Thicke. #THICKE. You know what doesn't rhyme with hug me? Trade me.
• It's August. Real NHL news is hard to come by. So let's just debate things, like, say.... Sidney Crosby or Wayne Gretzky? Go.
• The Senators and defenseman Jared Cowen are separated by a gulf, one the 22-year-old defenseman wants Ottawa to fill with money.
• The CBC is in danger of losing Hockey Night in Canada, but here's why it ultimately won't.