San Jose Sharks general manager Doug Wilson said in a statement Tuesday that forward Raffi Torres will no longer need additional right knee surgery as expected.
Torres injured his right ACL over a year ago and underwent surgery in September 2013. He did not appear in his first regular season game until Feb. 27. Over the summer, it was discovered that Torres had developed a pair of infections in his knee and it was believed that he would need surgery again.
From Wilson's statement:
"Raffi continues to work on rehabilitating his knee and is progressing well. After additional medical examination and in consultation with his agent, Eustace King, it has been determined that Raffi will forego any additional surgery at this time.
“Many NHL players have previously taken the same approach to recovering from a similar injury with success."
Wilson said there is no timetable yet for Torres' return.
Torres is a former No. 5 draft pick by the New York Islanders in 2000. The 33-year-old has 120 career points, including 67 goals. He played 11 games last season, scoring two goals and adding four assists.
The Sharks are 4-1-1 this season. They face the Boston Bruins (3-4-0) Tuesday night.
- Molly Geary