NHL rumors: Latest buzz around trades, coach firings, signings
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
With the NHL trade deadline on 3 p.m. ET on Feb. 29 just 10 days away, the rumor mill around the NHL is starting to pick up speed.
Check out the latest NHL news and rumors below.
• Toronto Maple Leafs forward Leo Komarov will have a player safety hearing with the NHL on Friday following his hit to the head of New York Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh.
• Linesman Don Henderson is still battling concussion symptoms after sustaining a hit from Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman, reports Eric Francis of The Calgary Sun. Wideman received a 20-game suspension for the hit.
• Carolina Hurricanes forward Eric Staal told Yahoo! Sports that he is “not going to be crushed” if the team deals him. With his contract set to expire after this season, Staal has been mentioned several times as a possible trade candidate.
• The Chicago Blackhawks are looking for a “top-six forward,” reports TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
• The Montreal Canadiens are “gauging the market” on defenseman P.K. Subban, reports Louis Jean of TVA Sports. The report comes days after head coach Michel Therrien blamed Subban for a loss Wednesday.
• Winnipeg Jets center Bryan Little left the team’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning after a collision with defenseman Anton Stralman. NHL.com reports Little needed assistance to leave the ice and had X-rays on his neck.