Take a look at the latest news and rumors around the NHL after the trade deadline.
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The NHL Playoffs start in just over a month, and the race for playoffs is starting to heat up. The Washington Capitals maintain a sizeable lead over second place in the Eastern Conference. The Chicago Blackhawks have a two-point lead over the Dallas Stars and St. Louis Blues in the Eastern Conference.
Check out the latest NHL news and rumors below.
• Florida Panthers forward Jaromir Jagr tied legend Gordie Howe for third all-time in points with an assist Thursday night. The 44-year-old recorded an assist in the Panthers’ 3–2 loss to the Colorado Avalanche.
• The Anaheim Ducks did not have forward Ryan Getzlaf Thursday. The Ducks list him as day-to-day with a lower-body injury.
• New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist knocked over his own net in the Rangers’ 4–1 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins Thursday night. The New York Daily News report Lundqvist was trying to tell the referee he was hurt.
• The Penguins Twitter account posted a video of Lundqvist flipping his net with the caption “You mad bro?” Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury called Lundqvist’s actions “baby stuff.”
• With Lundqvist battling his neck injury, the Rangers have recalled Magnus Hellberg from their AHL affiliate. The New York Daily News reports Antti Raanta will start Friday, with Hellberg serving as the backup.
• Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price told CBC that he’s “pretty confident” that he’ll return at some point this season. Price hasn’t played since aggravating his lower-body injury on Nov. 25.
• Ottawa Senators defenseman Mark Borowiecki is out indefinitely with a right knee injury, the team announced. He sustained the injury when he awkwardly hit the boards Thursday night.
• Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien is tied for most wins in franchise history following the team’s 4–2 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks. Julien can pass Art Ross and take sole possession of the record with one more win.