Take a look at the latest news and rumors around the NHL.
By Matt Connolly, Chat Sports
The first round of NFL playoffs resumes on Monday evening, with three teams — the Washington Capitals, San Jose Sharks and Dallas Stars — looking to go up 3–0 on their postseason opponents. San Jose is home to play the Kings, while Dallas and Washington will visit Minnesota and Philadelphia, respectively.
Check out the latest NHL news and rumors below.
• Robert Luongo is “exhausted” after playing three games in four nights for the Florida Panthers, who are down 2–1 to the New York Islanders. The 37-year-old gave up four goals in Sunday’s overtime loss.
• Justin Abdelkader would have welcomed a fight with Brian Boyle, particularly after the Tampa Bay Lightning Captain’s chicken dance, but had several reasons for holding back.
• The return of Evgeni Malkin may have disrupted the Pittsburgh Penguins’ team chemistry, writes Bleacher Report’s Adrian Dater. The Pens lost 4-2 against the New York Rangers on Saturday, and enter Game 3 tied 1–1 in the series.
• Chat Sports: More NHL news and rumors inside the Chat Sports app
• The Minnesota Wild have called up defenseman Mike Reilly, who will be eligible for Game 3 against Dallas.
• Video review of offside plays has been prevalent in the opening week of the postseason, and could end up giving the league another “Brett Hull moment,” reports SportsNet’s Chris Johnston.
• With Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi likely out for Game 3, the Rangers have promoted Raphael Diaz to support their blue line.
• Chat Sports: The top prospects in the 2016 NHL Draft
• Steve Mason suffered perhaps the most embarrassing moment of the playoffs on Saturday, but the goaltender is still slated to start Game 3 for the Flyers.