Themba Hadebe/Associated Press

FIFA’s medical committee says they want to try to improve soccer’s concussion protocol by stopping matches for three minutes while team doctors evaluate players with suspected head injuries.

By SI Wire
September 23, 2014

FIFA’s medical committee says they want to try to improve soccer’s concussion protocol by stopping matches for three minutes while team doctors evaluate players with suspected head injuries.

FIFA will bring up the matter during a two-day meeting that starts Thursday.

• FIFA executive thinks Qatar won't host 2022 World Cup

Last week, UEFA adopted the three-minute break protocol and plans to use it during Champions League matches next week.

FIFA looked at incidents during this summer’s World Cup and said it showed "the role of team doctors needs to be reinforced in order to ensure the correct management of potential cases of concussion." FIFA says the number of injuries went down from 2.7 per match at the 2002 World Cup to 1.7 per match at the 2014 World Cup.

In this year's World Cup final, Germany midfielder Christoph Kramer appeared to suffer a head injury but played for more than 10 minutes before being substituted.

BIRD: Wright-Phillips closer to record

- Scooby Axson

You May Like