Tony Stewart says he may never race sprint cars again
NASCAR driver Tony Stewart said in an interview with the Associated Press that he may never drive a sprint car again.
A grand jury earlier this week decided that Stewart would not be charged over the crash that killed 20-year-old driver Kevin Ward Jr. during an Aug. 9 dirt track race in upstate New York. Stewart's sprint car struck and killed Ward Jr. after Ward got out of his car and was walking on the track.
"I would say it's going to be a long time before you ever see me in a sprint car again, if ever. I don't have any desire at this moment to get back in a car," Stewart said.
"If I had the option to go right now to a race, I wouldn't. I don't even know when I'll go to a sprint car race again to watch. I can promise you it's going to be a long time before you ever see me back in one."
In the interview, Stewart also said that what happened in the crash was "100 percent an accident."
Stewart missed three Sprint Cup Series races after the crash but participated in the next four.