New Dallas Cowboy Henry Melton calls biting lawsuit 'a money grab'
Henry Melton, who signed a free-agent contract with the Cowboys on Tuesday, discussed why he chose Dallas on a local radio show on Wednesday. Melton also said a lawsuit surrounding last year's arrest on public intoxication and assault at a Dallas-area bar was nothing more than a bar owner trying to make money.
Melton, who was a 270-pound running back at nearby Grapevine High School and shifted to the defensive line at Texas, said he wanted to return to his hometown and be reunited with Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli. Melton thrived under Marinelli's tutelage during his time as the Bears' defensive line coach. Melton was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2012 with six sacks, two forced fumbles and 31 solo tackles.
The lawsuit seeks $1 million and alleges Melton punched and bit the bar owner after a dispute. Four restaurant workers reportedly were needed to restrain the 295-pound Melton until police arrived.
“It’s just a bad situation that’s getting blown up by people trying to have a money grab,” Melton said. “Other than that, it’s pretty much behind me. It’s not anything that will affect me, especially my play, nothing that I have to do time for or anything like that. It’s just people trying to get money.”