Following Real Madrid’s record-breaking Club World Cup victory on Saturday night, man-of-the-moment Cristiano Ronaldo sparked controversy in the aftermath of the game by saying that he’d like the Barcelona players to perform a guard of honour when the two sides lock horns for this weekend’s El Clasico.
Last night’s 1-0 win over Gremio saw Real register their fifth trophy in the calendar year, a feat which the team have never reached before.
Ronaldo’s 30-yard free-kick eight minutes inside the second-half ensured that the trophy would be coming back to Spain for the fourth consecutive season, and the Portuguese couldn’t be happier to be the man to make it happen.
Reported by Spanish publication Marca, Ronaldo said: "I'm happy I scored the goal, very happy. I'm having a great season. Real Madrid had never won five titles in a year and we wanted it, it's a record.”
Not only did the victory ensure Real’s record-breaking fifth trophy of 2017, but it also saw Madrid become the first ever side to win the Club World Cup in two consecutive seasons, while also winning the trophy for the record-equalling third time.
After Real’s recent endeavours, recently crowned Ballon d’Or victor Ronaldo deems his side worthy of a guard of honour, starting on Saturday when Madrid face up against arch-rivals Barcelona in an eagerly anticipated El Clasico.
"It would be nice and I would like Barcelona to give us a guard of honour," said Ronaldo in the post-match press conference. “I hope we win that game too so that the league is still alive for Real Madrid. We have to enjoy every moment because we don't know what will happen in the future."
Though Ronaldo hasn’t been in his typical startling form so far this campaign, the 32-year-old has assured he still has the same hunger for the game and has no plans of hanging up his boots anytime soon.
"I talk on the pitch, I try to give my best and for people to enjoy my football. I don't lack motivation to continue playing and training because I enjoy football. It's what I like the most."