USL's St. Louis FC will fold under the MLS Expansion of St. Louis. The USL team understands that it just cannot compete with the popularity of MLS.
With the City planning to begin playing at a new downtown stadium in 2023. St. Louis FC’s departure will leave the market without pro soccer for two years. The USL club was obligated to inform the league office by the end of August whether it would be playing in 2021.
FOR MORE CONTENT FROM SI:
- Top QB Prospect Trey Lance to Get Showcase Game When North Dakota State Plays Central Arkansas
- Beat L.A.? In Short Season, Dodgers Look Like a Superteam
- SI Survey: Doctors Say They'd Play in the NBA and NHL, but not NFL and MLB
- Deonna Purrazzo Out to Prove Herself as Impact’s Knockouts Champion After WWE Disappointment
- Despite All the Risks, Oscar De La Hoya Can Never Truly Quit Boxing
- Clemson No. 1 in Preseason AP Top 25, Followed by Ohio State, Alabama
- Asuka’s Journey Puts Her in Position for Two Title Matches at 'SummerSlam'