Daily Bagel: The greatest autograph signer in tennis, Sharapova's hotness
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Roger Federer is the G.O.A.T ... of signing autographs.
• Brian Phillips of Grantland on the sheer joy of watching Nick Kyrgios both dominate and implode.
• Why tennis players are turning more and more to sports psychologists.
• ICYMI: Victoria Azarenka tried to get the Ashe crowd to sing Happy Birthday to Gael Monfils the other night after her fourth-round win and it was very awkward:
• Grantland offers its U.S. Open fashion roundup. I found this part interesting:
"Too much time has been devoted to [Maria] Sharapova’s hotness. Maybe she’s hot. But to watch her play is to witness the difference between beauty and vanity. You might be aware of how she looks, but that’s your problem. You never detect her awareness. Contrast that with the NFL, where some of the least beautiful men also happen to be the vainest. Sharapova might actually be one of the most serious-looking people I’ve ever seen do anything."
• Grigor Dimitrov was playing with a new racket at the U.S. Open. That didn't work out for him, did it?
• With every win, Andy Murray advances gender equality ...
• ... And why that's a load of hooey.
• More from Christopher Clarey on the oddest tennis strokes in the game. Big shout out to the Ernests Gulbis seagull-forehand.
• Non-tennis: A peek inside every NFL playbook.