Daily Bagel: Serena sells sweaters on HSN and more news
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Overnight results: At the Tokyo Open, third seed Ana Ivanovic earned a good 6-4, 6-3 win over Victoria Azarenka. Ivanovic will play Lucie Safarova, who came back to beat Belinda Bencic 3-6, 6-4, 6-2. Top seed Angelique Kerber beat Elina Svitolina 6-4, 6-4 and Dominika Cibulkova broke CoCo Vandeweghe eight times to win 7-6 (5), 7-5. At the Korea Open, Agnieszka Radwanska served up a double-bagel on Chanelle Scheepers, and Varvara Lepchenko and Christina McHale pulled off victories. Finally in Guangzhou, Alize Cornet remains the only seed left in the tournament after coming back from a set and a break down to beat Shahar Peer 3-6, 7-5, 6-1.
• Here's Vandeweghe's reaction after her loss to Cibulkova, a match that featured 15 breaks of serve:
Holy Breakfest... Smh...— CoCo Vandeweghe (@CoCoVandey) September 17, 2014
• Will the ATP Big Four restore order in 2015?
• Serena Williams sold more than 40,000 colorblock sweaters during her time on HSN on Tuesday.
• Here's a look at who's in the running for the WTA Tournament of Champions in Sofia.
• 30,000 people welcomed Marin Cilic back to Croatia.
• Vroooom: Kei Nishikori signs a deal with Jaguar.
• Always a must-read: The Grandstand's faux-Facebook posts. This time the players react to Cilic's U.S. Open win.
• Colette Lewis for ZooTennis on where the USTA Player Development should go now that Patrick McEnroe is gone.
• Congrats to Anne Keothavong!
• This wasn't great:
The crowd for Azarenka-Ivanovic. pic.twitter.com/C890I2ExFq— Courtney Nguyen (@FortyDeuceTwits) September 17, 2014