Daily Bagel: When will Serena meet her match?
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Serena Williams and Caroline Wozniacki at the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund awards on Monday night.
• Tom Perrotta for the Wall Street Journal on the greatness of Serena Williams, who always found a way to be better than the rest.
• Steve Tignor on Novak Djokovic's resilient season. Just when you thought he was out he pulled you back in.
• An interview with Kei Nishikori before he heads to London for the ATP World Tour Finals.
REUTERS: After the year you’ve had, what do you feel about the ‘Project 45’ nickname?
NISHIKORI: "Having that as my first goal (of reaching 45 in the rankings) was great for my career. It’s not easy to aim for Top 10 when you are 18 (years old), so it was a great goal for me. It took some time to get there, but I’m very proud that I’m now one of the best players in Japan."
REUTERS: One of the best? Think the rankings say you are the best.
NISHIKORI: (smiles shyly)
• Next week Murray will be chasing the one London title that's eluded him: The World Tour Finals.
• This is a very odd angle at which to film a video, Adidas:
• Well this is a little surprising: Zeljko Krajan, former coach to Dinara Safina and Laura Robson, is engaged to his current pupil Polona Hercog.
• Marin Cilic can't stop staring at his U.S. Open trophy.
• From The Guardian, a defense of equal prize money that focuses on one aspect of the argument that's rarely raised: the economic playing field is not a level one.
• German Fed Cup captain Barbara Rittner nominated Sabine Lisicki to the squad for the Fed Cup final, a move that former pro Nicolas Kiefer thinks will disrupt team chemistry. Disrupting team chemistry is the last thing you want to do right before the final.
• The U.S. will head to Glasgow, Scotland for its first round Davis Cup tie vs. Britain.
• Iveta Melzer has become a fashion blogger.
• A review of hot shots from last week's BNP Paribas Masters:
• Chill out! Kick your feet up, Simona. You deserve it!
• How well do the folks who compile The Oxford English Dictionary know tennis terms?