Rafael Nadal leaves hospital after appendectomy

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Rafael Nadal was released from a Barcelona hospital on Wednesday, two days after undergoing surgery to remove his appendix.

''Everything went well. It was simple, ordinary surgery,'' Nadal told reporters after walking out alone from the Quiron Teknon hospital.

Nadal gave no timetable for his return to tennis, saying he would start training when he had recovered fully.

The Spaniard attempted to play through suspected appendicitis last month. He tried to treat the condition with antibiotics before opting for surgery.

Nadal's appendix was removed on Monday using laparoscopy or key-hole surgery, a statement said.

Doctors said Nadal could return to full training after about a month of post-operation recovery.

Because of the surgery, Nadal will miss the ATP Finals in London.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide—from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Andy Staples, Grant Wahl, and more—delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.