Daily Bagel: Madison Keys splits with Davenport; Brian Baker set to return
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• David Kane of the WTA on Timea Bacsinszky, who is looking to continue making improvements after a career-best season.
• After a three-year break from tennis due to injuries and various surgeries— left hip (twice), right hip, a sports hernia and elbow reconstruction—American Brian Baker has announced that he will return to tennis at the 2016 Australian Open, using his protected ranking to gain main-draw entry.
• Madison Keys has ended her coaching partnership with Lindsay Davenport. She will now work with former ATP player Jesse Levine in Boca Raton, Fla., for the 2016 season and will continue to work with her trainer Scott Byrnes.
• Roger Federer and Martina Hingis will play mixed doubles together for Switzerland at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
• After parting ways with Milos Raonic, Ivan Ljubicic has joined Federer’s team after the Swiss and Stefan Edberg parted ways after two years. Learn more about Ljubicic here.
• ICYMI: Federer thanks his boyhood idol Edberg for being a part of his team for two years:
• More from Tommy Hilfiger and Rafael Nadal:
• The 2015 WTA Awards were announced at the beginning of the week. Some notable winners include: Serena Williams named Player of the Year for the seventh time in her career; Doubles Team of the Yea: Martina Hingis /Sania Mirza; Most Improved Player of the Year: Timea Bacsinszky; Newcomer of the Year: Daria Gavrilova; Comeback Player of the Year: Venus Williams; Peachy Kellmeyer Player Service: Lucie Safarova; Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship: Petra Kvitova.
Serena recognized her and her sister's achievements on Instagram:
A photo posted by Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) on
• Sports Illustrated will announce the winner of its 2015 Sportsman of the Year award on Monday, Dec. 14. Read Jon Wertheim’s case for Serena Williams, Andy Roddick’s essay on Serena’s 2015 season, Elizabeth Newman’s case for Novak Djokovic and Vlade Divac’s essay on Djokovic for the Sportsman award. You can also vote in our readers’ poll here.