Rafael Nadal won’t play Wimbledon due to wrist injury
Rafael Nadal announced Thursday he won’t play Wimbledon this year due to his recovery from a wrist injury.
Nadal pulled out of the French Open last month with a wrist issue, which the Spaniard said had gradually worsened in the early rounds at Roland Garros.
He said at the time that he hoped to play Wimbledon, but Thursday’s announcement means that Nadal won’t participate in the tournament for the first time since 2009.
“I’m sad to announce that after talking to my doctors, and receiving the results of my last medical revision, I won’t be able to play at Wimbledon this year,” Nadal, 30, said in a statement. “As you can all imagine, it’s a very tough decision, but the injury I suffered at Roland Garros needs time to heal.”
The current world No. 4 is a two–time winner at Wimbledon, earning titles in 2008 and 2010.
Nadal hasn’t won a Grand Slam title since the 2014 French Open. He was upset in the second round at Wimbledon last year.
Wimbledon begins on June 27.
- Stanley Kay