The Kansas City Chiefs lost star running back Jamaal Charles to a non-contact knee injury during the third quarter of Sunday’s Week 5 meeting with the Bears when his right knee buckled on a run. Charles had to be helped off the field, and could put no weight on his right leg. The team ruled him out for the rest of the game almost immediately.
According to head coach Andy Reid, initial reports are that Charles tore his ACL.
Charles wasn’t the only star go down on Sunday. Here are a list of other notable Week 5 injuries:
• Baltimore Ravens linebacker Elvis Dumervil sustained a groin injury during the team’s game against the Browns and was quickly ruled out for the remainder of the game. Dumervil entered the game with 11 tackles, two sacks, and a forced fumble. He was named All-Pro a season ago. The Ravens are already without linebacker Terrell Suggs (torn achilles) for the remainder of the season.
• Patriots linebacker Dont’a Hightower injured his ribs in the first quarter against the Cowboys and is out for the game.
• Broncos linebacker DeMarcus Ware was taken to the locker room on a cart with a back injury and did not return.
• The Bills now have just two healthy running backs after Cierre Wood was carted off the field with an undisclosed injury in the first half. He was ruled out for the rest of their game against the Titans.
• Giants linebacker Jon Beason was concussed on New York’s first defensive series of the game.
This post will be updated.
- Kenny Ducey
SI's NFL Video Analysis
Mouse over a photo for a pop-up view; click on a link to go to the video.