MLS Word Association: targeted allocation, discovery, more
Major League Soccer could probably use its own dictionary for its wide array of idiosyncratic terms and mechanisms. Targeted allocation money. General allocation money. Transparency. Blind draw. Discovery. Re-entry draft. SuperDraft. The list goes on.
And while the league has these mechanisms and tools in place for its own reasons, they certainly can yield some puzzled looks and cause frustration among fans, media and MLS personnel alike.
So SI's Grant Wahl took the time to play a game of word association with some of MLS's top figures to get their thoughts and reactions to some of the league-specific terms. Watch their responses in the video above.
And for the rest of our series of interview questions for MLS coaches and executives as the 2016 season nears, watch the following:
- Which players deserve more of the MLS spotlight?
- What is the ideal playoff format for MLS?
- Can promotion-relegation work in American soccer?
- Will MLS really be one of the world's best leagues by 2022?
- What's a lost art in the way soccer is played today?
- What are you most proud of in MLS's 20 years?
- What one soccer law would you change?
- Which city should receive an MLS expansion team?
- Should MLS implement instant replay, and to what extent?