The NCAA Board of Directors decided to amend the Division I Council’s satellite camp ban.
The NCAA Board of Directors decided to rescind the Division I Council’s satellite camp ban on Thursday.
Earlier this month, the Division I Council voted to restrict coaches to coaching only at camps and clinics on their own campuses. The decision drew criticism from numerous coaches and administrators, who said the new rule would ultimately hurt less heralded prospects from accessing a wider collection of schools.
The SEC and ACC pushed for the ban, largely due to the aggressive use of satellite camps by Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, who also angered the SEC by scheduling spring practices in Florida.
“While we are disappointed with the NCAA governance process result, we respect the Board of Directors’ decision and are confident SEC football programs will continue to be highly effective in their recruiting efforts,” SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said in a statement.
The board’s decision to rescind the rule means coaches are free to work at any camp. The SEC and ACC will be able to overturn their conference prohibitions on the practice.
Michigan posted a tweet Thursday in reaction to the decision.
In the decision rescinding the ban, the board directed the Council to “conduct a broad assessment of the FBS recruiting environment.”