Each week, the college football team here at SI will delve into the fun, the weird and the wacky of college football with a series called Between The Hashes. It’s a way to decompress from the madness of the week, and to find a few things that you might have missed.
Do you feel that? Do not be alarmed, that is the (official) end of summer waving goodbye and heading to Boca for the season. That leaves us all alone with no adult supervision for the fall, free to stay up as late as we want, eat candy for dinner and watch those music videos Mom and Dad always tell us not to watch. Things are going to get crazy, and Week 4 was just a sampling of that with all the strangeness that we enjoyed from prekick of Auburn vs. Kansas State way up until the wee hours of the (East Coast) morning when Arizona won on a Hail Mary to beat Cal, scoring 36 fourth-quarter points in the process.
As always, this isn't the best of the best of the week, but a sampling of some of the things that make the week so special and make college football so much better than any other sport.
FSU Slo-Mo Action
There's something extra fun about seeing things in slow motion. And we got a couple of moments from Florida State's overtime win over Clemson in prime time on Saturday night. First off, Jimbo Fisher's classic reaction after Jameis Winston appeared fully dressed to play despite being suspended.
Not to be outdone, Seminoles quarterback Sean Maguire mouthing "Oh my God, we got the ball back" after the 'Noles recovered a Clemson fumble just moments after he threw a critical interception was sheer poetry.
ABC: Aggies Be Prepared
You never know when you're going to be in a medieval battle before, during or after a college football game. It's better to be ready. This Texas A&M fan knows.
Maybe nature was trying to tell us all something as rain delayed Michigan's loss to Utah for a substantial amount of time and flood waters entered Michigan Stadium.
Do the Heisman
A couple of weeks back, LSU running back Leonard Fournette dropped a Heisman pose on an unsuspecting Sam Houston team. People love getting upset when other people do the Heisman, so I really just wish it happened more often. That's why I was thrilled to see Utah's Kaelin Clay do it -- in Desmond Howard's Big House -- after his 66-yard punt return for a score. The Utes also came away with the victory.
Coffin Cooler Alert
I'm constantly awed and amazed at how creative SEC fans can be when it comes to tailgating and tailgating accessories. From R2D2 kegs to fried gator and beyond, it seems like each week the conference is one-upping itself. This LSU coffin cooler deserves all the props and more, even though coffins are super expensive. I wonder how many pallbearers it takes to carry that thing when it's filled with ice and assorted beverages.
Hail Mary, full of wins
This right here is why you stay up even though you're sleepy to watch the last of the Pac-12 finishes. You never know when you'll see a team complete a Hail Mary to win at the horn. Rich Rod prayed and his prayers were answered as Arizona won, 49-45 over California.
This Week in Wazzu
We almost had a disaster in the early minutes of GameDay on Saturday: the Wazzu flag wasn't on screen. It was just a minor mishap, as the flag's caretakers had to get things sorted out.
And way out in Washington, one kid is getting ready to maybe grow up and wave the flag on GameDay himself.
Quotes of the Week
A tough field as always, but here are a couple gems:
The winner, of course, shouldn't surprise you. It's Steve Spurrier, whose entire press conference is worth a watch after South Carolina stumbled through its 48-34 win over Vanderbilt.
The Uga I – Uga VIII Memorial Mascot of the Week
Look at this LSU dog! Just look at it!
The Ricky Dobbs All-Stars
As a general refresher, each week we will highlight some of the best statlines of the week, in honor of former Navy quarterback Ricky Dobbs.
- Georgia RB Sony Michel: 155 yards, 3 TD vs. Troy
- Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon: 253 yards, 5 TD vs. Bowling Green
- Duke defense: 4 interceptions, 1 fumble recovery, 2 defensive touchdowns vs. Tulane
- Alabama QB Blake Sims: 445 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT vs. Florida
- Alabama WR Amari Cooper: 10 catches, 201 yards, 3 TD vs. Florida
- Vanderbilt KR Darrius Sims: 91-yard kickoff return for TD and 100-yard kickoff return for TD vs. South Carolina
- ECU RB Breon Allen: 211 yards, 2 TD vs. North Carolina
- ECU QB Shane Carden: 438 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT vs. North Carolina
- Louisville WR James Quick: 7 catches, 174 yards, 2 TD vs. FIU
- Ohio LB Quentin Poling: 3 INT vs. Idaho
- Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott: 268 pass yards, 105 rush yards, 3 total TD vs. LSU
- Oklahoma RB Semaje Perine: 242 yards, 4 TD vs. West Virginia
- Nebraska RB Ameer Abdullah: 229 yards, 2 TD vs. Miami
- Oregon QB Marcus Mariota: 21-25, 329 yards, 5 TD, 58 rush yards vs. Washington State
- Arizona QB Anu Solomon: 520 yards, 5 TD, 2 INT vs Cal