Each week, the college football team here at SI will delve into the fun, the weird and the wacky of college football with a series called Between The Hashes.It’s a way to decompress from the madness of the week, and to find a few things that you might have missed.
Despite the frequency of blowouts in Week 8, there was still plenty to enjoy. Blowout football is still football, right? And to go with all the blowout football, we had plenty of fans feeling good, feeling great, feeling bad and feeling sad. We've stormed past the midway point of the season and with us barreling down a dark and perilous cavern in a mine car together, it's important to hold on tight, think positive and smile.
Things are going to get terrifying and exhilarating each and every week from here on out.
Little Debbies On Deck
Kenyan Drake was forced to watch Alabama's blowout of Texas A&M from the sideline after he broke his leg against Ole Miss, but that didn't mean he was about to miss out on all the fun. The running back had a basket full of Nick Saban's favorite snack, and every member of the Tide earned a cookie with that win.
Clarissa Explains It All
Actress Melissa Joan Hart is a pretty vocal Alabama fan. Nothing wrong with that. But the Clarissa Explains It All and Sabrina The Teenage Witch star came a little close to revealing too much with her tweet during 'Bama's romp of the Aggies on Saturday.
Mascot of the Week
With how often he makes an appearance, we might as well name this award after Goldy of Minnesota. He earned the honor again with this picture of him getting ready for the Gophers' game against Purdue. His preparation must have made a difference – Minnesota beat the Boilermakers, 39-38.
The Dastardly Punter
West Virginia got itself a big upset over Baylor, but the real star for the Mountaineers was punter Nick O'Toole. With that facial hair, he should probably be tying some damsel in distress to the train tracks in a silent film from the 1920s.
This Week in Creative Official Calls
The Pac-12 is upstaged this week despite having a game-changing call in UCLA-Cal explained by an official whose microphone was off. We go to Iowa-Maryland, where expressing your displeasure could cost you penalty yards.
There are lots of scary mascots in the world, but Nebraska's Lil' Red and Lil' Red imitators might just be the scariest. Maybe it's because of team catlab. Maybe it's because of his cold, dead eyes. Maybe it's something else. But I'd rather be in the cage with Mike the Tiger than have Lil' Red looming right behind me.
Quotes of the Week
Let's get right to it.
The Ricky Dobbs All-Stars
As a general refresher, each week we will highlight some of the best stat lines of the week, in honor of former Navy quarterback Ricky Dobbs:
- Utah RB Devontae Booker: 210 yards, 2 TD vs. Oregon State
- West Virginia WR Kevin White: 8 catches, 132 yards, 2 TD vs. Baylor
- Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard: 15 catches, 197 yards, 1 TD vs. Kansas State
- Alabama WR Amari Cooper: 8 catches, 140 yards, 2 TD vs. Texas A&M
- Georgia RB Nick Chubb: 202 yards, 2 TD vs. Arkansas
- TCU WR Josh Doctson: 7 catches, 255 yards, 2 TD vs. Oklahoma State
- Ohio State QB J.T. Barrett: 261 pass yards, 107 rush yards, 5 total TD vs. Rutgers
- Michigan State RBs Jeremy Langford and Nick Hill: 287 yards, 4 TD vs. Indiana
- TCU QB Trevone Boykin: vs. 410 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 41 rush yards vs. Oklahoma State
- USC QB Cody Kessler: 319 yards, 7 TD vs. Colorado
- Oregon RB Royce Freeman: 169 yards, 4 TD vs. Washington
- North Carolina QB Marquise Williams: 390 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT, 73 rush yards, 1 rush TD vs. Georgia Tech
- Nebraska RB Ameer Abdullah: 146 yards, 4 TD vs. Northwestern