The Horizon League Had a Truly Wild Night of Tournament Quarterfinals

Publish date:

If you needed an early dose of chaos ahead of March Madness, look no further than the Horizon League basketball tournament.

On Tuesday night, the quarterfinal round included four wild finishes, including three ending in overtime—one after a team blew a 24-point lead—and another that concluded with a four-shot final possession. 

Let's take a look at the madness. 

Cleveland State Tops Purdue Fort Wayne in Triple OT

Top-seeded Cleveland State needed three overtimes to hold off an upset-minded Purdue Fort Wayne, the No. 10 seed in the tournament. The Vikings' eventual 108–104 victory was clinched on Algevon Eichelberger's pair of free throws, but that wasn't his only heroics on the night. Eichelberger, who had not made a three-pointer all season, nailed the one that sent the Vikings into the third OT. 

Wright State Squanders 24-Point Lead in Upset to Milwaukee

When No. 2 seed Wright State led No. 8 seed Milwaukee by 24 points with 6:20 remaining, it looked clear on its way to earning a trip to the Horizon semifinals. But the Panthers had other thoughts, improbably rallying to overcome the deficit and nailing bucket after bucket. At the end of regulation, DeAndre Gholston connected on a three-pointer to tie the game at 81, sending it to OT.

With 38 seconds left in OT, Gholston came up clutch again, putting Milwaukee up 90–89 and sealing the victory for the Panthers with a pair of free throws. 

Northern Kentucky Beats Detroit Mercy on Wild Final Possession

Meanwhile, No. 4 seed Northern Kentucky battled it out with No. 5 seed Detroit Mercy Tuesday night, trading shots through the very end. In the final seconds, after three missed layups and a failed jumper attempt, David Bohm tipped it in to give the Norse the 70–69 victory.

Oakland Tops Youngstown State in OT

Tied at 72 at the end of regulation, No. 3 seed Oakland took full control in OT, adding threes and a jumper from Garrett Covington in response to an early Youngstown State rally. The Golden Grizzlies won 87–83, securing a spot in the semifinals of the tournament.