What You Need To Know About Andrew Wiggins
Andrew Wiggins, the No. 1 high school basketball player in the country, will announce his college decision today at 12:15 p.m. ET. The short list of rumored destinations includes Kentucky, Florida State, North Carolina and Kansas. If you haven't paid much attention to the exhaustive buildup to Wiggins' college choice ... congratulations. Here's everything you need to know.
1. At 6-7, 200 pounds, he is fancied to be the NBA's next superstar -- and he would have been drafted last year if not for the league's age rules.
2. He's known for his high-flying dunks ...
... like when he hop-stepped from the foul line and posterized a defender ...
... or the Reverse 360 Eastbay at the McDonald's All-American Slam Dunk contest.
3. Did we mention he gets up?
4. And he was getting up when he was 13?
5. On the same day Sports Illustrated publishes a lengthy profile on Wiggins, the senior goes off for 57 points (on 24-for-28 from the field in a victory over the Marietta College JV team.
“After that article dropped, I knew I had to respond,” he told Zack Jackson of Fox Sports Ohio.
When provoked by a rival student section in a December game, Wiggins delivered one of his best performances of the season.
7. He thinks he could make Kentucky the "best college team ever."
8. ESPN's Keith Jenkins was pretty sure Wiggins was bound for FSU on April 12 ...
9. ... but he's clearly not in Wiggins' family and quickly deleted his "scoop."
10. That bombshell was nothing compared to a Maryland restaurant owner named JohnnyCrabCakes on May 3.
(He then posted this letter as a sign of his close rapport with Tar Heels coach Roy Williams.)
11. The consensus seems to be Florida State ...
ESPN's Dave Telep, 244Sports.com analyst Jerry Meyer, Rivals.com's Eric Bossi and CBS Sports' Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish have each tipped the Seminoles.
12. ... but rule out the dark horses at your own peril.