Victor Cruz sports Michael Jordan’s No. 45 jersey to mark return

Thursday July 30th, 2015

As professional sports “returns” go, it’s not a bad idea to echo Michael Jordan.

That’s what New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz did on Thursday when reporting for training camp wearing Jordan’s No. 45 Chicago Bulls jersey. Of course, Jordan donned the number when he came out of retirement for the first time in 1995 and could not initially reclaim his recently retired No. 23.

Cruz, who suffered a torn patellar tendon six games into the 2014 season, told reporters he was “93%” healthy on Thursday. Perhaps the Jordan homage will provide that remaining 7%.

The Giants practiced for the first time on Friday. Cruz and fellow receiver Odell Beckham Jr. are expected to be eased into at least the early portion of camp.

Thursday PM Clicks: Rose McGowan; Shenanigans at Patriots Camp

Mike Fiammetta

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide—from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Andy Staples, Grant Wahl, and more—delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.