The Miami Dolphins selected QB Tua Tagovailoa with the 5th pick of the 2020 NFL Draft. He was a -210 favorite to be the second QB taken. Tagovailoa joins a Dolphins team that came on strong late in the season. WR DeVante Parker emerged into a star and is going to be a go-to option for Tagovailoa going forward.
Tagovailoa’s health will be the biggest thing to watch as we head into the 2020 season. It’ll be the biggest determining factor for when he might get the starting job. He’s not worthy of drafting in single-QB leagues, but is worth a speculative add as a QB3 in two-QB/Superflex formats. However, given his hip injury and lack of certainty to have a starting job by Week 1, he’s not a Top 25 fantasy QB.
In 2018, Saban handed Tua Tagovailoa the keys to the starting quarterback job. Tagovailoa went 14-0 before losing to Clemson in the championship game. On the year, he passed for 3,996 yards with 43 passing TDs and six INTs while adding some value in the run game (57/190/5). His completion rate (69.0) was elite while gaining 11.2 yards per pass attempt. Last year Tagovailoa was on a higher path after nine games (2,840 passing yards with 33 TDs and three INTs), but his season ended in mid-November with a significant hip injury and a broken nose. In Week 8 of the season, he passed for 418 yards with four TDs and one Int against LSU, but Joe Burrow (393/3) won the game 46-41. In the pros, he’ll need to work harder on scoring drives while not having the luxury of having the edge in offensive talent.
Miami Dolphins Stats To Know:
- The Dolphins allowed the most touchdowns (57) while also ranking second in field goals allowed (33). Opponents score 90 times on their 186 possessions (48.4 percent of the time).
- Miami’s defense ranked last in passing TDs (39) and touchdowns (27) to the wide receiver position. They also gave up the second-most rushing attempts (482).
- Their RBs finished 31st in rushing attempts (297), 32nd in rushing yards (962), and 32nd in yards per carry (3.24).
- Ryan Fitzpatrick found the keys to WR DeVante Parker (72/1202/9), helping Parker pick up $21.5 million in guarantees in his $40 million contract signed last December.
- The Dolphins have five draft picks over the first 56 selections in the 2020 NFL Draft.
Latest NFL Draft Coverage from Sports Illustrated
- NFL Mock Draft: One Final First Round Projection
- Overrated and Underrated NFL Draft Prospects
- NFL Mock Draft: Vegas Odds Predict First Round
- SI’s 2020 NFL Draft Prop Betting Guide
NFL Draft Exclusives: Sign up for Sports Illustrated’s newsletters and get the latest NFL Draft coverage, analysis and highlights - delivered right to your inbox.