Here are the latest on MLB rumors, possible trade talks and free agency transactions.
Winter Meetings has begun, but will this slow MLB offseason pick up steam at the annually frenetic event? Be sure to check in here regularly for the latest rumors, news and moves around the league.
• The Orioles are reportedly shopping third baseman Manny Machado, according to multiple sources. The Phillies are interested in both Machado and Orioles closer Zach Britton, reports MASN's Roch Kubatko, though FanRag Sports' Jon Heyman notes that "there are many hurdles" in Philadelphia's pursuit.
• The Nationals are "seriously" exploring the possibility of signing free-agent starter Jake Arrieta, reports Heyman. MASN Sports' Mark Zuckerman, however, reports that Arrieta's agent, Scott Boras, is "just trying to make them interested." The Phillies are also "considering" Arrieta, reports Heyman.
• Free-agent first baseman Eric Hosmer remains on the radar for the Padres, reports Heyman. MLB.com's AJ Cassavell reports that the team's interest in Hosmer is "very real," according to a front-office source.
• The Marlins are pushing outfielder Marcell Ozuna in trade talks, saying he will be easier to trade than teammate Christian Yelich, reports The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal. Miami is seeking to cut payroll after trading away Dee Gordon and Giancarlo Stanton, reports Heyman, as it enters a rebuild; Ozuna is two years away from free agency. Heyman reports that the Blue Jays, Rockies, Cardinals, Nationals and Rangers are among the teams interested in Ozuna; according to USA Today's Bob Nightengale, St. Louis has emerged as the favorite. The Giants are also pursuing Ozuna, according to Sirius XM's Craig Mish.
• The Yankees have traded pitcher Bryan Mitchell and infielder Chase Headley to the Padres for outfielder Jabari Blash. The move saves $13 million for New York, which is seeking to get under the $197 million luxury tax threshold. The New York Post's Joel Sherman reports that the Angels may be interested in Headley given the presence of Los Angeles general manager Billy Eppler, who was an assistant GM with the Yankees when they acquired Headley from San Diego in 2014.
• The Yankees are targeting Tigers starter Michael Fulmer in trade talks, reports Nightengale. WFAN's Sweeny Murti notes that the team's interest in Fulmer, the 2016 AL Rookie of the Year, is "high." The Yankees are also interested in Pirates starter Gerrit Cole, Giants starter Jeff Samardzija, Diamondbacks lefty Patrick Corbin, and Athletics starters Kendall Graveman and Sean Manaea, reports Sherman.
News And Notes
• The Rays are listening to offers on starter Chris Archer, third baseman Evan Longoria and closer Alex Colome, with Colome the likeliest to be traded. (The New York Post)
• The Reds and Giants are discussing a trade involving centerfielder Billy Hamilton. (Cincinnati Enquirer)
• The Cardinals are one of the teams pursuing free-agent closer Wade Davis, as are the Rockies. (Yahoo Sports)
• The Padres have traded infielder Ryan Schimpf to the Rays for a minor leaguer. The 29-year-old hit .158/.284/.424 with 14 home runs in 53 games for San Diego last year, playing mostly third base. (MLB.com)
• The Diamondbacks are getting calls on Corbin, as well as their middle infielders. (The Athletic)
• Free-agent third baseman Todd Frazier is reportedly seeking a multi-year deal. (The New York Post)
• The Giants are unlikely to trade for Pirates outfielder Andrew McCutchen due to salary concerns (NBC Sports Bay Area)
• The Rangers have met face-to-face with free-agent reliever Fernando Rodney, who saved 39 games for the Diamondbacks last year. (MLB.com)
• The Mets, Rockies, Blue Jays and Mariners are among those interested in rightfielder Jay Bruce. (FanRag Sports)
• The Giants, Royals, Athletics, Rays and Blue Jays are among the teams interested in free-agent outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, formerly of the Rockies. (ESPN)
• The Athletics could shop second baseman Jed Lowrie. (San Francisco Chronicle)
• The Rockies remain interested in re-signing first baseman Mark Reynolds. (FanRag Sports)
• The Mets are interested in free-agent reliever Juan Nicasio, who split last season between Pittsburgh and St. Louis. (The New York Times)
• Free-agent second baseman Neil Walker is looking for a four-year contract. (FanRag Sports)