Los Angeles Dodgers (3-2-2) at Texas Rangers (2-2-2)
Sunday, March 7, 2021
1:05 PM MT (2:05 PM CT)
Surprise Stadium | Surprise, AZ
LAD: RHP Walker Buehler (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
TEX: RHP Mike Foltynewicz (0-0, -.-- ERA)
Radio: 105.3 The Fan
Los Angeles Dodgers
TV: SportsNet LA
*MLB Network will re-air Sunday's game at 1:00 a.m. CT Monday morning.
Unique Rules in Spring Training
Sunday's game between the Rangers and Dodgers will be eight official innings. According to Major League Baseball's 2021 Operations Manual, games up to March 13 can be shortened if both managers agree.
There is also a temporary rule in place that allows for managers of a defensive team to end (or roll) an inning prior to three outs following any completed plate appearance, provided the pitcher has thrown more than 20 pitches.
Texas Rangers Starting Lineup
- SS Isiah Kiner-Falefa
- 2B Brock Holt
- RF Joey Gallo
- DH Khris Davis
- 3B Rougned Odor
- 1B Nate Lowe
- LF Eli White
- C Jonah Heim
- CF Delino DeShields Jr.
Los Angeles Dodgers Starting Lineup
- RF Mookie Betts
- SS Corey Seager
- C Will Smith
- 1B Max Muncy
- 3B Chris Taylor
- 2B Gavin Lux
- DH Sheldon Neuse
- LF Zach Reks
- CF DJ Peters
Texas Rangers Scheduled Pitchers
- RHP Mike Foltynewicz (two innings)
- RHP Jordan Lyles
- RHP Kyle Cody (two innings)
- RHP Dane Dunning (two innings)
- LHP Hyeon-jong Yang
- Brett Martin (back spasms): Martin was scratched from Saturday's game against the Diamondbacks. He was scheduled to pitch one inning.
- David Dahl (right shoulder surgery): No restrictions at the plate. Dahl has hit as a designated hitter throughout Cactus League play and had no issues. Progressing well in throwing program.
- Demarcus Evans (right lat strain): Has yet to throw off a mound. Will not be ready for the start of the season. The Rangers expect him to be able to throw off a mound in mid-March.
- Joely Rodríguez (sprained ankle): Rodríguez's ankle is no longer bothering him, but he is having to build up arm strength since the injury set him back. His chances of being available on Opening Day are in doubt.
- Brock Burke (left shoulder surgery): The Rangers are taking it slow with him coming off surgery in 2020. They like his progress so far, but have no urgency to rush him.
- Sam Huff (grade 2 hamstring strain): Still in the rehab process. Should get an MRI sometime later this week.
- Anderson Tejeda (right elbow infection): GM Chris Young announced the infection last Tuesday. Tejeda is currently being evaluated by the Rangers medical staff.
LIVE In-Game Updates
2:07 CT: Mookie Betts swings at the first pitch from Mike Foltynewicz and lines out to Joey Gallo in right field.
2:12 CT: Foltynewicz retires the Dodgers in order in the top of the first inning.
2:17 CT: HOME RUN. Joey Gallo hit a two-out solo home run off Walker Buelher. Rangers lead 1-0.
2:22 CT: HOME RUN. Rougned Odor just hit a line drive the other way that cleared the wall in left field. Two-run home run after a single by Khris Davis. Rangers lead 3-0.
2:28 CT: Foltynewicz pitches another perfect inning in the top of the second. Rangers lead 3-0.
2:35 CT: RUN. Delino DeShields Jr. and Isiah Kiner-Falefa hit back-to-back doubles with two outs off Walker Buehler. Rangers lead 4-0.
2:36 CT: Buehler gets Brock Holt to ground out to end the inning. Not the start Buehler was looking for today. Rangers lead 4-0.
2:38 CT: Jordan Lyles comes in to pitch the top of the third for the Rangers.
2:43 CT: Jordan Lyles retires the Dodgers in order. Rangers lead 4-0.
2:48 CT: Walker Buehler bounced back and retires the Rangers in order in the bottom of the third inning. Rangers lead 4-0.
3:01 CT: Mookie Betts and Will Smith get hits in the inning, but with Kyle Cody's pitch count up to 23, Rangers manager Chris Woodward rolls the inning. Rangers lead 4-0.
3:10 CT: Kenley Jansen allows Eli White to reach base and steal second, but gets out of the inning. Rangers lead 4-0.
3:20 CT: RUN. Sheldon Neuse drives in a run with an RBI single into right field. The throw in from Joey Gallo holds Gavin Lux at third base. Still nobody out in the top of the fifth. Rangers lead 4-1.
3:23 CT: RUN. Zach Reks grounds into a double play that allows Gavin Lux to score from third. With Cody's pitch count high again, Woodward rolls this inning as well. To the bottom of the fifth... Rangers lead 4-2.
3:29 CT: Dodgers southpaw Victor González retires the Rangers' fifth in order. Rangers lead 4-2.
3:35 CT: Dane Dunning comes in to pitch for the Rangers in the sixth inning, along with these defensive changes:
3:38 CT: Dane Dunning walks James Outman, but gets out of the inning unscathed. Rangers lead 4-2.
3:49 CT: Nate Lowe strikes out and Josh Jung is thrown out trying to steal second base to end the sixth inning. Rangers lead 4-2.
3:56 CT: Andy Ibáñez makes a diving stop up the middle to take away a hit from Gavin Lux to end the Dodgers' sixth. Rangers lead 4-2.
4:04 CT: Dennis Santana pitches a perfect bottom of the seventh inning for the Dodgers. Rangers lead 4-2.
4:05 CT: Hyeon-jong Yang is in to pitch the eighth innings, making his Rangers debut.
4:11 CT: HOME RUN. DJ Peters hits a high, far solo homer to left field off Yang. Rangers lead 4-3.
4:15 CT: Yonny Hernandez tracks down a broken bat flare in shallow left field to end the Dodgers' eighth inning. The Rangers will win this one, but we will still play the bottom of the eighth. Rangers lead 4-3.
4:16 CT: Gerardo Carrillo comes in to pitch the bottom of the eighth for the Dodgers.
4:26 CT: Carrillo allows two baserunners, but gets Jung to ground out to end the inning. Rangers win 4-3.
Promo photo: Kelly Gavin / Courtesy of the Texas Rangers
READ MORE: Rangers' Gallo Blazing With 3 Homers
READ MORE: Odor Tweaks His Rangers Stance