1. Does it seem to you that ejections and arguments are way up this year? It might seem that way after a wild past week in which umpires
Through Aug. 11, there were 128 ejections, which at this rate would mean a 14 percent increase from last year. But, no, the increase does not come from throwing incidents or fights and bench-clearing incidents. The big jump is from arguments regarding plays on the bases. Such arguments have led to 33 ejections, already more than such ejections in any of the previous five full seasons. Consider the ejection numbers in the table to the right.
2. With the clock ticking on the Washington Nationals' attempt to sign top pick
The Nationals could simply have "awarded" Kearns to the claiming team to get out from under the contract,
• Damon is hitting fewer grounders and fewer line drives, but hitting flyballs like never before in his career -- a tactic that also explains his career-high strikeout rate.
• Damon has hit 22 home runs this year: 15 of them at home and 19 of them to rightfield.
• Damon has hit 15 homers in 57 games at the new Yankee Stadium. That's already more than what he hit in the previous two years combined at the old Yankee Stadium: 12 homers in 137 games.