By SI Wire
December 20, 2014

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has told the San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams that no team will relocate to Los Angeles for the 2015 season, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Chargers announced earlier this week that they have elected not to exercise the termination clause in their Qualcomm Stadium lease.

ProFootballTalk's Mike ​Florio reported in October that the NFL plans to move one or two teams to Los Angeles within the next two years. Reported potential candidates include the San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams.

• ROSENBERG: Long a punchline, Lions are now legitimate contenders

All three teams are on year-to-year stadium leases. Three-quarters of team owners would have to vote in favor of a team relocating. According to SchefterGoodell told those three teams that anyone considering moving to LA should target 2016.

It has been reported that the Chargers could oppose another team moving to Los Angeles for economic reasons, but a source told Florio that the issue likely would be ironed out and noted the possibility of the Chargers getting a bigger percentage of the relocation fee than other teams.

Los Angeles has not had an NFL team since the Raiders and Rams left the city following the 1994 season.

You May Like