Bears' Ray McDonald arrested for domestic violence

Chicago Bears defensive end Ray McDonald arrested for domestic violence, possible child endangerment
Publish date:

Chicago Bears defensive end Ray McDonald was arrested for misdemeanor domestic violence and child endangerment on Monday morning in San Jose, Calif., the Santa Clara police department said. Damian Trujillo of NBC Bay Area first reported the arrest. 

The Bears released McDonald later on Monday.

McDonald was arrested at 7 a.m. on Monday at a residence in San Jose that belongs to former teammate and recently retired defensive tackle Justin Smith, according to the Sacramento Bee.

A release from the Santa Clara police department says McDonald is accused of physically assaulting the victim while she was holding a baby.

McDonald then left, and "was later located" at Smith's house. McDonald was taken to the Santa Clara police department and will later be booked at the Santa Clara County Jail.

McDonald signed with the Bears in March on a one-year contract after being cut by the San Francisco 49ers in December following what the team called a "pattern of behavior" after authorities announced McDonald was being investigated for possible sexual assault charges.

No charges were brought against McDonald in that case, and he is reportedly suing the woman who accused him of sexual assault. The alleged victim is suing McDonald​ and 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks for false imprisonment, assault and battery, and infliction of emotional distress.

The accuser in that case told police that she fell and hit her head on the ground near the pool at McDonald’s house and does not remember the sexual encounter, which police said took place in McDonald’s home in San Jose on Dec. 14, hours after the 49ers lost 17-7 to the Seattle Seahawks.

McDonald had also been arrested last Aug. 31 on suspicion of felony domestic violence. Police said that McDonald was celebrating his birthday at his home with friends and teammates. When police arrived at the home, they said the alleged victim, McDonald’s fiancée​, had "visible injuries." McDonald was not charged after the district attorney's office said it did not have sufficient evidence to proceed with the case.

After the Bears signed McDonald, owner George McCaskey explained the decision. He met with McDonald before giving general manager Ryan Pace permission to sign him.

From The Chicago Tribune's transcript of McCaskey's comments:

"[McDonald] asked if I’d be willing to meet with him and I said yes," McCaskey said. "So the fact that he proposed that idea, I gave him a lot of credit for. And he was very candid, very forthright. It was a difficult conversation. It was long. It took a lot out of me. And I think it took a lot out of him. And after that conversation, I told Ryan that he had our permission (to sign him)."

McDonald, 30, was selected in the third round of the 2007 draft. Over 68 starts and 115 games in his career, McDonald has recorded 210 tackles, 19.5 sacks and five forced fumbles. 

Scooby Axson