NFL rumors: Latest news entering the playoffs on injuries and more
By Justin Lee, Chat Sports
It was an interesting Black Monday, as there was only one head coaching resignation to add to the firings of Jim Tomsula and Mike Pettine on Sunday night. However, there are still plenty of other intriguing storylines across the NFL ahead of this weekend’s playoff matchups.
Check out the latest NFL rumors and news below.
• The Chargers will retain head coach Mike McCoy for the 2016 NFL season, the team announced.
• The Tennessee Titans made several front office moves on Monday, including the firing of general manager Ruston Webster and the removal of the interim tag on president and CEO Steve Underwood, according to a team announcement.
• San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is slated to have thumb surgery on Wednesday, reports The Sacramento Bee’s Matt Barrows. Kaepernick’s recovery time is expected to be about three months.
• Former Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly and former Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan have expressed interest in the vacant San Francisco 49ers head coaching job, according to NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport.
• Miami Dolphins interim head coach Dan Campbell will not be hired as a permanent replacement to fired head coach Joe Philbin, reports SI’s Peter King. The team interviewed former Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith on Monday, reports CBS Sports’ Will Brinson.
• The Philadelphia Eagles announced that interim head coach Pat Shurmur will interview for the team’s full-time coaching job. Running backs coach Duce Staley has already interviewed for the opening.