The Washington Redskins have claimed former San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster off waivers, the team confirmed in a statement Tuesday. Foster was later placed on the Commissioner Exempt list the same day.
"The Redskins fully understand the severity of the recent allegations made against Reuben," Senior Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams said in the statement. "If true, you can be sure these allegations are nothing our organization would ever condone. Let me be clear, Reuben will have to go through numerous steps including the full legal process, an investigation and potential discipline from the NFL, as well as meetings with counselors associated with the team before he will ever have the opportunity to wear the Burgundy and Gold as a player."
The NFL announced Tuesday evening it was placing Foster on the Commissioner Exempt list and would continue to review the matter. Under the league's personal conduct policy, Foster cannot attend games or practices. He can be present at the team's facility for activities like workouts or meetings with the team's permission.
Foster was arrested Saturday night at the team's Tampa hotel, one day before the 49ers' game against the Buccaneers, on charges of domestic violence. The 49ers released Foster Sunday morning. It remains unknown if the NFL will suspend Foster.
Williams also said that the team decided to claim Foster after having "candid conversations" with some of his "ex-Alabama teammates and current Redskins players who were overwhelmingly supportive of us taking this chance."
However, Washington's front office was reportedly "far from unanimous" over the idea to claim Foster. President Bruce Allen "masterminded the decision," according to The Washington Post.
Saturday's arrest wasn't Foster's first since being drafted with the No. 31 overall pick in 2017.
The second-year linebacker was arrested twice in a one-month span during the offseason. He was charged with marijuana possession in January and "charges related to domestic violence" in February. The latter charges were dropped when Foster's accuser recanted her story. Foster was suspended for the first two games of 2018 due to the arrests.
ESPN's Adam Schefter previously tweeted that the Cleveland Browns claimed Foster but called the information "premature" and said the NFL "declined to name [the] team." Shortly after Schefter's report, Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot tweeted sources told her the Browns were not the team that claimed Foster.
Foster tallied 29 tackles in six games this season. He appeared in 10 games last year, ranking second on the 49ers in tackles and third in tackles for loss.