New York Giants rookie receiver Kadarius Toney issued a public apology via his Twitter account for losing his cool during Sunday's 44-20 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.
Toney threw a punch at Cowboys defensive back Davontae Kazee after taking umbrage with how he was gang tackled by the Cowboys. While the Giants and Cowboys both drew off-setting penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct, Toney, who at that point had been having a breakout showing with 189 yards on 10 receptions, was ejected from the game after throwing the punch.
According to NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport, Toney “will be evaluated for a likely fine but no suspension” by the NFL. If Toney escapes a suspension, that would be good news for a Giants team that doesn't yet know if it will have Saquon Barkley, Kenny Golladay, Daniel Jones, Sterling Shepard, or Darius Slayton for Sunday's game against the Rams.
Giants head coach Joe Judge was upset with Toney’s actions, which he perceived as hurting the team.
“There’s a pretty distinct line in terms of competing and doing the things we’re not going to condone as a team that put us behind,” Judge said after the game. “That’s not going to be accepted. It’s not going to be condoned. That’s as far as I’m going to go with that.”
Giants Wednesday Practice Report: Several Players Missing Due to Injury
Giants continue to struggle with injuries as they look to right their ship.
New York Giants Week 7 Opponent First Look: Carolina Panthers Offense
Let's get to know the key names on the Carolina Panthers offense, the New York Giants' Week 7 opponents.
Judge was asked if Toney had some maturing to do.
"I think every rookie has a lot of maturing to do," he said. "You’re asking specifically about an incident, I’m going to address that with the team. I’m going to address that with the players individually as well, make sure we’re on the same page. There shouldn’t be any confusion in that at all."
The Giants head coach also refused to say whether he would suspend or discipline Toney beyond anything handed down by the league.
More from Giants Country
- Giants RB Saquon Barkley Exits Cowboys Game with An Ankle Injury
- Giants Week 5 Inactive Report: Offensive Tackle Andrew Thomas Active
- Giants QB Daniel Jones Exits Game For Head Injury Evaluation
- Giants Receiver Kenny Golladay Suffers Knee Injury
- Giants Schooled by Cowboys 44-20 in a Potentially Costly Game
- New York Giants Fall to Dallas Cowboys, 44-20: Instant Reaction
- New York Giants Week 5 Report Card: Outclassed
Join the Giants Country Community
- Sign up for our FREE digest newsletter
- Follow and like us on Facebook
- Submit your questions for our mailbag
- Listen and subscribe to the daily LockedOn Giants podcast.
- Subscribe and like the new LockedOn Giants YouTube Channel
- Sign up for our FREE message board forums
- Subscribe and like our YouTube Channel