Why Mendoza's Pick-Six Response What Raiders 'Expect'

In this story:
Thursday night was an up-and-down experience for rookie quarterback Fernando Mendoza in the Las Vegas Raiders' 22-20 win over the Houston Texans at Reliant Stadium.
During his postgame press conference, head coach Klint Kubiak spoke on Mendoza's outing and what he needs to learn moving forward.
Kubiak's Thoughts

- "I think there's plenty to clean up, plenty to get better at," Kubiak said. "Plenty we can do better for him as coaches, plenty that he can learn from."
- "The response, that's who he is," Kubiak said of Mendoza's ability to recover after the pick-six. "I think defensively, they covered the play really well, and the [linebacker] did a great job of stepping in front of our check-down. I got to go watch it, but the response is what we come to expect from him."
Why You Shouldn't Read Too Much Into Mendoza's Performance

Could the No. 1 overall pick have been better on Thursday night? Absolutely. The interception was a poor throw and decision by Mendoza, but some circumstances need to be taken into account when fairly assessing his performance.
In one half of action, Mendoza completed 8-of-15 passes for 86 yards and one interception. On the surface, that looks like a very disappointing performance. However, two things contributed to Mendoza's and this offense's overall struggle to gain any traction.
First, Las Vegas started its second-unit offensive line against the majority of the Texans' starting defense. It was quickly apparent that the protection up front was out of its depth against one of the league's deepest defenses. Mendoza was under duress countless times on Thursday night, forcing him to abandon the play and throw the ball into the sidelines to avoid a sack. Secondly, Malik Benson had two costly drops that would have extended drives.
Overall, Mendoza could have played better, but more importantly, he continues to show development in playing from under center, and his arm talent, anticipation, and pre-snap recognition are above average. Right now, signs point toward Kirk Cousins opening the season as the starting quarterback, but Mendoza could start games at some point this season.

Regardless, if you're a Raiders fan, your confidence in Mendoza and the direction of this organization shouldn't waver based on what transpired on Thursday night. Given that Houston's defense is elite and the rookie quarterback played with the second-unit offense, excluding Jalen Nailor, I'm not concerned in the slightest about how he played in his second career preseason game.

Logan Lazarczyk is a graduate of the University of Missouri-Kansas City, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies with an emphasis in Journalism. Logan joined our team with extensive experience, having previously written and worked for media entities such as USA Today and Union Broadcasting.