Brian Allen has stepped into an expanded role this season, starting nine games at center.
Rams coach Sean McVay said Thursday that Allen suffered an elbow injury against the Titans last Sunday night, making his game status for Week 10 unclear. Allen will be a non-participant in the team's Thursday practice.
"He won't be a participant today," McVay said of Allen. “Came out a little bit sore after the game so we’ll see what his week looks like as we progress.”
While there will be a more concrete picture of whether or not Allen will play against the 49ers in the coming days, McVay confirmed that Coleman Shelton would be the next man up if Allen is inactive on Monday night.
“Coleman Shelton’s done a great job,” McVay said. “We really saw him play a lot of snaps in the preseason. He got better and better. He’s always been a really sharp guy, but then I think you see the physical reps that really were illustrated by the way that he played in the preseason against some really good players. And then we saw that every day in camp and every day out here when we’re competing in practice. He’s done a great job, just did an excellent job in the walk-through and so if Brian isn’t able to go – which we hope he is – have a lot of confidence in Coleman.”
Rams Open Season as Slight Favorites Over Bills
The opening line for the Rams' season opener has shifted back in their favor.
Rams vs. Cowboys: Micah Parsons' Take on Best Defensive Duo
Can Parsons and Trevon Diggs follow the same Hall-of-Fame trajectory as Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey?
WATCH: Rams Sean McVay Living His Best Life on Vacation
McVay is a man of many talents but who knew flexing on a water hoverboard was one of them?
Shelton is in his third season with the Rams, where he's primarily been used as a depth piece along the interior. This season, Shelton has logged just nine offensive snaps – all of which came in Week 8 against the Houston Texans.
This week, Shelton will garner a surge of snaps with the first-team offense until Allen returns to the practice field.
More from Ram Digest:
- Rams at 49ers: How to Watch, Listen and Stream
- Two Rams Listed Among PFF's Top Free Agent List
- Former Rams WR Josh Reynolds Claimed by Lions
- Los Angeles Rams' 2021 Midseason Awards
- Rams Sign DB Antoine Brooks to Active Roster, DE Jonah Williams to Practice Squad
- Why the Rams Should Consider Pursuing WR Josh Reynolds Following Release From Titans
- SI Power Rankings: Where do the Rams sit in Week 10?
- Rams at 49ers Opening Odds: Point Spread, Over/Under, Moneyline
- Sean McVay on if He'd Kick the Tires on Odell Beckham Jr.: 'I Would Never Say Never'