Steven Stamkos' injury has created major a void to fill in the Lightning's offense. (Brian Babineau/Getty Images)
By Allan Muir
An annotated guide to this morning's must-read hockey stories:
• Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman would prefer that someone from the organization stepped up to fill the void created by Steven Stamkos' injury, but he's willing to consider a trade for a veteran scorer to keep his team afloat if that's what it takes. Smart move. With at least two spots in the Atlantic up for grabs, he can't wait much longer for this group to prove they're up to the challenge.
• You think maybe he's had second thoughts about returning Jonathan Drouin to junior? You won't believe what that kid did this week to the Q.
• The captain can finally buy a round for the boys in Colorado.
• Does the filming of HBO's "24/7" impact team performance?
• A young Red Wing will be in Detroit for the rest of the season, thanks as much to waiver rules as his two-goal performance the other night.
• Dave Stubbs takes a look at the life of Canadiens legend Yvan Cournoyer on the occasion of his 70th birthday. Interesting to see that Sports Illustrated figured into a pivotal moment in his life.
• Here's another great piece of hockey history: a remembrance of the Allan Cup champion Windsor Bulldogs and their 1963 trip to Russia. Hockey, spies and cockroaches are only part of the story.
• Pat Hickey says any discussion of candidates for the Norris Trophy that doesn't include P.K. Subbanis bunk. Well, he is finally seeing some time on the penalty kill, so that's something.
• Is one of Subban's potential rivals for the Norris facing a shift to forward?
• There's a very good reason for Philadelphia's recent run of success.
• The Devils placed a bet on Damien Brunner being a player who could provide some offensive spark this season. So far, it hasn't paid off. He might be finished in this league before long.
• Adam Proteau says Jonathan Toews deserves consideration alongside Crosby and Ovechkin in any discussion of the world's best player. Wait...was that still up for debate?
• Who knew that "unbelievable save by Tadeas Galansky" meant the same thing in Finnish as it does in English? Either way, this is a pretty insane stop. Fast forward to the 7:25 mark:
• Here's a photo gallery of what one statistical metric says are the NHL's 20 most efficient teammates.
• Some team is going to sign WHL overaged Mitch Holmberg to an NHL contract. Should it be your favorite club?
• The ability to stay ahead of the times has Ken Hitchcock on target for a spot in the Hockey Hall of Fame.