Top Line: Leafs culture clash; Should Avs honor Steve Moore?; more
An annotated guide to this morning's must-read hockey stories:
• Howard Berger wonders if there's any chance that there can be a meeting of the minds between old-school coach Randy Carlyle and the Maple Leafs' analytically inclined front office group led by Kyle Dubas. Change is the only way forward for Toronto, but the road might be bumpier than some would like.
• Should the Avalanche dedicate a night to honoring Steve Moore? Terry Frei says that such a ceremony could be cathartic for the team's fans, and would also serve as atonement for the past sins of the organization.
• With an opening on the coaching staff to fill over the summer, the Red Wings' Mike Babcock turned to Nicklas Lidstrom. Here's why the legendary defenseman turned Babcock down.
• For a team that finished 27th in the league last season, there sure was a lot to like about the Flames. The NHL's 30-in-30 series focuses on whether Calgary can maintain that momentum as it tries to break in a new front office, a new goalie and some new kids up front.
• After a busy summer spent rebuilding the front office and reshaping his club, the Canucks' GM is going to unwind with a week-long endurance challenge in the Swiss Alps. Hmmm ... wonder if there are any donuts left in the break room.
• Yvan Cournoyer says that it isn't important when the Canadiens name a new captain. Ensuring that they get the right man is what counts. Cournoyer, one of the greatest players ever to wear the C for Montreal, explains what it takes to earn the letter.
• An editorial in The Globe and Mail argues that the University of Ottawa's hockey team, which was shut down after two players were charged with sexual assault, has been wronged by the school's administration. “It reeks of injustice,” the piece says. Do you agree?
• Oh, man ... those Team Jamaica practice jerseys. This thing is really happening.
• And then there was that time that Tyler Seguin met Captain America in a bar.
• Check out this beauty from Vincent Praplan of the Kloten Flyers from Sunday's Champions Hockey League action:
• And finally, this is just wrong.