Top Line: Injury concerns everywhere; sympathy for the Devils; more
An annotated guide to today's must-read hockey stories:
• The Red Wings are in midseason form, which is to say that they already have an injured superstar. Pavel Datsyuk will be examined today after hurting his shoulder in last night's 2-1 win over Pittsburgh. Here's hoping it's nothing serious.
• Carolina owner Peter Karmanos confirmed the rumors that the Hurricanes are for sale and said he's looking for a buyer who's willing to pay New York Islanders money for the team.
• Gary Bettman has a new talking point in explaining why a second team in Ontario wouldn't work: “If we decided that we were putting a second team in Ontario and the year the team was supposed to start, the Leafs won the Cup, that second team wouldn’t exist.” Talk about going to extremes for a hypothetical.
• Bettman also talked about the league's proactive approach in dealing with off-ice behavioral issues and why the NHL's current policy makes the most sense.
• With an excellent performance in the Wild's scrimmage on Monday, Ilya Bryzgalov made everyone forget that he hadn't skated since April. He'll be in tight to grab a job in Minnesota, but he could land elsewhere if he puts on a good show over the next two weeks.
• Thinking of attending a Blackhawks game at the United Center this season? You're gonna need a bigger wallet. (s/t to Kukla's Korner)
• The Vancouver Canucks are in a pickle over the fate of Jacob Markstrom. The team doesn't want to lose its No. 3 keeper via waivers and so it could end up keeping him with the big club until it figures out what to do. Good stuff here on Ryan Miller as well.
• Here's your daily update on the Ryan Johansen contract situation, courtesy of Michael Arace.
• Anze Kopitar says it would have been nice to win the Selke Trophy last season, but he ended up with the one award he really wanted anyway. And he'll be just fine if it works out exactly the same way this year.
• If the Panthers are going to claw their way out of the Eastern Conference cellar, they'll need bounce-back seasons from these two left wingers.