The court cases of NHL players Mike Richards (drugs) and Ryan O’Reilly have been pushed back.
A pair of NHLers had their dates with justice pushed back on Thursday.
The court date has been put over to October 1. This is the second time the date has been changed. He’d previously been scheduled for Aug. 20. As on that occasion, his lawyer appeared on his behalf. O'Reilly faces a maximum of six months in jail, a fine between $400 and $2,000, seven demerit points on his license, and a suspension of driving privileges for up to two years if found guilty.
Earlier this week he apologized for his actions. Speaking to The Buffalo News he said he hoped to put the incident behind him.
“It’s obviously something I’ve had to deal with all summer, and I feel horrible about it,” O'Reilly said. “It can be a little difficult at times, but everyone here has been nice about it and supported me and is hoping for the best. To have that, it makes it much easier. I just focus on being here and let that thing take care of itself.
“I’m not saying the outcome is set yet, but just to be in a situation like that and have it come out the way it’s been spun, it is unfortunate. I know families and parents and kids. It’s not a good message to send to them. Again, I do apologize and I will do what I can to make that up to them. I think that’s something I’ll be happy to put behind me.”
His case was remanded to December 8.
Richards was arrested in June at a Canadian border crossing after allegedly being found with unprescribed oxycodone in his possession.
He was not present at his hearing.
Lawyer Hymie Weinstein, who attended as Richards’ representative, told The Winnipeg Free Press that “counsel has received initial disclosure from the Crown, but there’s additional disclosure to come.”
Weinstein did not reveal how his client intended to plea.
NHL Players and the Law